Madame Web is an upcoming superhero film being produced by Sony Pictures, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. It will be set in Sony's Spider-Man Universe, and set to be released on July 7, 2023.
After their work on Morbius, Sony hired Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless in September 2019 to write a script centered around Madame Web. In May 2020, S. J. Clarkson was hired to develop and direct Sony's first female-centric Marvel film, which was reported to be the Madame Web film. The studio was looking to attach a prominent actress such as Charlize Theron or Amy Adams to the project, before hiring a writer to develop the film with the actress in mind. On February 2, 2022, it was announced that Dakota Johnson will play the character.
On March 16, 2022, Deadline reported that Sydney Sweeney had been cast in an undisclosed role.
On April 20, 2022, Deadline reported that a release date for the film was set for July 7, 2023.
- "Exclusive: Sony Taps 'Morbius' Writers for 'Madame Web' Movie Set in Spider-Man Universe" - Collider
- ‘Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse’ Heads To Summer 2023; Sony Dates ‘Madame Web’, ‘Equalizer 3’ Among Other Release Changes
- ‘Madame Web’: Dakota Johnson Tapped To Play First Female Superhero In Sony Pictures’ Universe Of Marvel Characters
- ‘Euphoria’s Sydney Sweeney To Co-Star Opposite Dakota Johnson In Sony’s Marvel Pic ‘Madame Web’
- "Secret Marvel Movie From Sony in the Works With Director S.J. Clarkson (EXCLUSIVE)" - Variety